FAFSA Registration

 FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid:

  • The FAFSA Application is the qualifier for Pell Grants, Student Loans, and Work Study Money. 
  • Apply now for college money for summer 2017
  • Begin applying on October 1, 2016 for the 2017/2018 School Year
  • Look at the following website for answers to many questions you may have about the FAFSA and financial aid in general: https://studentaid.ed.gov/fafsa/next-steps

Directions for filing the FAFSA

Step 1 - Both student and parent must apply for a FSA ID at: fsaid.gov  (a username and password combination that allows you to sign your FAFSA electronically)
Step 2 - Complete the FAFSA application at: www.fafsa.ed.gov
Things you will need to apply:
Your Social Security Number
Your Parents' Social Security Number

Your drivers license number if you have one

Your Alien Registration number if you are not a U.S. Citizen

Federal tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 forms for you (and your spoude, if you are married), and your parents if you are a dependent student                                                * All tax information can now be downloaded using the IRS data retrieval tool

Records of untaxed income, such as Social Security benefits, Welfare benefits, and Veteran's benefits for yourself and/or your parents

Information on savings, investments, and business and farm assets for yourself and/or your parents

Financial aid begins with the FAFSA, yet in 2013 an estimated 47% of high school graduates neglected to submit theirs, resulting in 2.9 billion dollars in Pell Grants going unclaimed. No student can afford to miss out on financial aid opportunities, which is why we created TheAffordableColleges.com guide to the FAFSA.